- 2 eggplants
- 3-4 heirloom tomatoes
- 1 tbsp chopped chives
- 1-2 cans of anchovies (2-4 oz)
- 1 egg
- 2 cups almond flour
- 2 tbsp chopped chives
- 1 tbsp grapeseed oil
- pinch of salt
I went to the farmer’s market yesterday and got overly excited with all the vegetables. I loaded my fridge with heirloom tomatoes, eggplant, and chives. As I wondered what to do with them, it suddenly hit me: MINI PIZZAS! For a touch of flavor and a bit of protein, I topped them with anchovies. Anchovies go really well with thick slices of tomatoes.
Preparing the Toppings
- Chop the eggplant into 1/4″ to 1/8″ thick slices.
- Put the eggplant on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and cook at 350F for about 15-20 min.
- While the eggplant is cooking, cut the tomatoes into 1/3″ thick slices and set aside.
- Chop the chives and set aside.
Baking the Crust
- Put the egg in a bowl and whisk for about 30 seconds.
- Add 2 cups of almond flour, 1 tbsp grapeseed oil, 2 tbsp chives and a pinch of salt. Mix it all together and form a ball.
- Put the dough (now made into a ball) between two sheets of parchment paper and use a rolling pin to flatten. You need to get it to 1/8″ thick in order for it to cook properly. Tip: Because the dough is sticky, putting it between two sheets of parchment paper will keep it from sticking to the rolling pin.
- Use a tall glass (or any other prop that is as wide or wider in diameter as your eggplant slices) to cut the dough into circles. If you don’t have a good prop to do it, you can always slice the dough into squares with a knife.
- Place the dough circles (or squares) on a baking sheet (lined with parchment paper) and cook for 10 minutes at 350F degrees.
- At this point, take the eggplant slices out of the oven if you haven’t already.
Assembling the Mini Pizzas
- Once the dough has cooked, assemble the mini pizzas: first place the pizza crust on a baking sheet (lined with parchment paper.) Next add a slice of eggplant, then add a slice of tomato, then a bit of anchovy and finally sprinkle some fresh chives on top.
- Put the baking sheet back in the oven for about 10 minutes and enjoy.