- 1 egg
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1 heaping tbsp coconut flour (Note- this won't taste like coconut; coconut flour is used to bind the dough)
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp grape seed oil
- 1/5 tbsp sea salt
- 2 tbsp dried chives (Note- for variety, you could replace the chives with grated cheese. Asiago is my favorite, but Parmesan would work great as well.)
If you want a savory snack to carry to work, this is a great alternative to processed foods. These crackers are also great for parties. The basil and cheese spread and also the herb cheese spread (see below) work really well with this recipe.
1. Preheat the oven to 400F.
2. Whisk the egg.
3. Combine all other ingredients and form a ball with the dough.
4. Cut three pieces of parchment paper to the size of a baking sheet. (Use the first to line a baking sheet, the second to line your counter and set the third aside.)
5. Put 1/3 of the dough between the parchment paper lining your counter and the other sheet you just set aside.
6. Press down on the dough and using a rolling pin, roll it to 1/8 thickness.
7. Cut the dough with a cookie cutter. Note – this part is really fun. For adults, you can use squares and circles, but kids might like more fun shapes like stars and hearts.
8. Place the crackers on the baking sheet you previously lined with parchment paper.
9. Roll the scrap of the dough with the other 1/3 and repeat steps 6-8. Line another baking sheet with parchment paper if you need more room.
10. Put the baking sheets in the oven and cook at 400F for 5 minutes.
11. Take the baking sheets out of the oven after the first 5 minutes and flip the crackers.
12. Put the baking sheets back in the oven and lower the temperature to 325F.
13. Bake for another 7-13 minutes or until the crackers are golden. Tip: The more golden a cracker is, the crunchier it will be. If the crackers were cut to different thicknesses, you might need to take some out before others so they don’t burn.
Note: For the herb cheese spread, mix a cup of farmer’s cheese with 1 tbsp of herbs de provence, 3 tablespoons of olive oil and a pinch of salt.