- CARAMELIZED ONIONS
- 5-6 medium onions (I used yellow and red)
- 1/3 cup grape seed oil
- salt to taste
- 2 cups almond meal (or almond flour)
- 1/5 cup grape seed oil
- 2 tablespoons water
- caramelized onions (from above)
- 10 oz farmer’s cheese (about 1 ½ cup) plus 1 tablespoon for décor
- 6 eggs
- 1 tsp dill
- 1 tsp parsley
- 1 tsp salt
- Chop both ends of the onions.
- Stand onions vertically and cut them in half.
- Continue to slide them so you get long pieces (do not dice; you want the long pieces).
- Place onions in a non-stick pan with the oil. Cook on low heat for about 18 min, stirring every other minute.
- Turn up the heat to medium-high and cook for another 15 min or until they are caramelized.
- Stir constantly so the onions don’t burn. Tip – as the onions are cooking, you can start on the crust.
- Turn the oven to 375F while you prepare the crust.
- Mix all the ingredients together.
- Press crust down into the quiche pan.Tip: because the bottom is very flimsy, it might be a good idea to make the edges thicker.
- Place in the oven for about 10 min and get started on the filling.
- Whisk the eggs in a bowl
- Add the cheese and mix with a wooden spoon.
- Add the dill, parsley and salt and mix.
- Add the onions.
- Take the crust from the oven and pour the filling on the crust. Even out the filling with a spoon.
- Crumble the last tablespoon of the farmer’s cheese and sprinkle on top.
- Bake at 375F for about 30 min or until the center is cooked. Tip: if you see that the center is cooked, but it is not golden enough, broil for 1-2 min in low temperature.
- Take out of the oven and cool for at least 5-10 min before serving.
You can eat the quiche as is or you can serve with slices of smoked salmon and lemon and mixed green salad dressed with simple olive oil and salt.